Member Benefits | Job Bank
Making a gift to the National Network for Oral Health Access is one of the easiest ways to positively impact our work, enhance our services, and help our community strengthen and increase access to oral health services. NNOHA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Your contributions are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.
Join & Renew
NNOHA is the largest group of safety-net oral health practitioners in the country, and our members all share a commitment to increasing access to quality oral health care for underserved populations. NNOHA is committed to providing the highest quality resources and support designed to meet the unique needs of our members and their programs.
Health Care for the Homeless
August 5, 2022
As a member of the Health Care for the Homeless team, the Dentist performs dental services for Health Care for the Homeless patients including oral examinations, prophylaxis, fillings, extractions, endodontia, periodontal surgery, root canals, crowns and bridges; and interprets radiographs; and performs follow-up services.
Key Role Responsibilities
• Applies the principles of Standards of Care, from pediatric to geriatric dentistry, when providing individualized dental care to clients
• Diagnoses dental conditions, evaluates oral health, plans, and provides dental treatment to patients through prophylaxis, fillings, extractions, endodontics, periodontal treatment, root canals, crowns and bridges.
• Provides preventive education and demonstrates oral hygiene
• Maintains, updates, and reviews patient charts, records, and information
• Identifies clients who require specialized care and initiates and tracks specialty referrals
• Clinically supervises and manages dental assistants and dental hygienist
• Under direction of dental director, takes lead in management of programmatic initiatives including preparation for compliance visits, participating in development, advocacy and performance improvement efforts, and overseeing clinical schedules
Key Agency Responsibilities
In addition to role responsibilities, each staff member of Health Care for the Homeless has the following responsibilities as a part of their employment:
• Models and reinforces the Health Care for the Homeless “core values” of dignity, authenticity, hope, justice, passion and balance
• Actively participates in performance improvement activities and actively participates in advocacy activities that support the mission of Health Care for the Homeless
• Protects our client’s personal health information by maintaining compliance with HIPAA and other relevant Health Care related IT security regulations
• Performs other duties on an as-needed basis
Knowledge, Experience, and Skills
Formal Education and Training
• Completion of a state recognized Dentistry program
• Current licensure to practice Dentistry in Maryland
• Current licensure to prescribe medication in the state of Maryland
• Two years of direct clinical care experience, preferably working collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary clinical setting
• Direct client care experience with populations similar to clients of Health Care for the Homeless; experience in a community or public health setting working with the underserved is preferred
• GPR and AEGD residency preferred
• Excellent interpersonal skills to interact and maintain relationships with a wide range of personalities
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrated proficiency with EMRs
• Able to cope with interruptions, be flexible, and be a team player
• Culturally sensitive working with staff and clients from diverse backgrounds
• Experience working with ill, disabled, emotionally upset and sometimes hostile clients/patients
This is an essential onsite position.
Health Care for the Homeless is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to racial equity and inclusion. We make a particular effort to recruit and promote Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) for open positions. BIPOC, LGBTQIA+ individuals, people with disabilities, and people with other marginalized identities are encouraged to apply.
Desired Start Date