Member Benefits | Job Bank
Making a gift to the National Network for Oral Health Access is one of the easiest ways to positively impact our work, enhance our services, and help our community strengthen and increase access to oral health services. NNOHA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Your contributions are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.
Join & Renew
NNOHA is the largest group of safety-net oral health practitioners in the country, and our members all share a commitment to increasing access to quality oral health care for underserved populations. NNOHA is committed to providing the highest quality resources and support designed to meet the unique needs of our members and their programs.
Open Health Care Clinic
October 11, 2022
The Dental Hygienist provides quality dental care and associated services to patients under the general supervision of a dentist and using established dental hygiene procedures. Assist other staff in a variety of patient care, office and laboratory duties. Perform broad responsibilities for clinic and community dental health education activities.
FTCA Scope of Employment: Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) coverage is restricted to acts or omissions of a covered entity within the scope of employment of a covered individual. For actions to be within the scope of employment and be covered, they must: be within the approved scope of the project, including sites, services, and other activities. Duties, as outlined in this job description and the contract for services, align within the scope of employment for a Nurse Practitioner and are therefore covered by the Federally Supported Health Centers Assistance Acts (FSHCAA) and the FTCA.
Scope of Project: Health Center Program
Service(s): General Primary Medical Care, Diagnostic Lab, Diagnostic Radiology, Screening, Coverage for Emergencies during and after hours, Voluntary Family Planning, Immunizations, Well Child Services, Gynecological Care, Obstetrical, Prenatal, Intrapartum Care (Labor and Delivery), Postpartum Care, Preventative Dental, Pharmaceutical Services, Case Management, Eligibility Assistance, Health Education, Outreach, Transportation, Translation, Additional Dental Services, Mental Health Services, Substance Use Disorder Services, Podiatry
Primary Site: OHCC Dental
Secondary Sites: OHCC-Main-3801 North Blvd., OHCC-3849 North Blvd., CAHSD-Wooddale, OHCC- 30789 Range Avenue, Admin Office-4550 North Blvd., OHCC Baranco-Clark, OHCC Colonial, Homeless Drop-In Center, Mobile Unit #1
Essential Job Functions including, but not limited to:
1. Satisfies Core Competencies
· Accepts responsibility for ensuring that performance meets the standards of the professional, ethical and relevant department requirements and OHCC core values.
2. Customer Service
· Develop favorable relationships with all patients. Interact positively with patients to provide information and education about oral hygiene, handle and resolve patient concerns with enthusiasm and empathy
· Ensure all patients enjoy a positive experience, and are treated with the care and compassion expected.
· Delivers culturally and linguistically competent customer service consistently.
3. Oral Health Care Delivery
· Improve the oral health of patients through the delivery of periodontal therapies and other dental hygiene-related services.
· Enhance the efficiency of the clinic by performing expanded duties as allowable by law and as directed by the dentist.
· Ensure all patient records and related documentation are managed and maintained
timely, accurately, and consistent with all HIPAA and related regulations and requirements.
· Ensure all tasks provided and associated with patient care, patient administrative processes, and related duties comply with all regulatory and accreditation standards, as well as clinic policies and procedures.
· Provide direct patient care and dental services as trained, licensed, and assigned.
· Assess dental condition and needs of patient using approved patient screening procedures, including medical history review, dental charting, and periodontal charting.
· Evaluate overall oral health, examining oral cavity for signs of periodontal disease or possible cancers, including recessed & bleeding gums, and oral lesions.
· Document dental history or chief complaint; record and report pertinent observations and patient reactions to dentists, as appropriate.
· Document lab procedures and ensure follow up on results.
· Follow through with oral hygiene procedures in accordance with treatment plans prescribed by the attending dentist. Procedures may include: Prophylaxis, periodontal scaling, root planning, debridement, supra and subgingival scaling and curettage, application of fluoride treatments, and application of protective sealants.
· Educate patients in oral hygiene and dental care, including proper tooth brushing, flossing, nutrition and need for professional care.
· Utilize the requisite tools, systems, technology and equipment in the collection of patient Data and documentation management.
· Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of dentistry procedures, clinic infection control procedures, cleaning and sterilization of instruments, tray setup and materials.
· Demonstrate knowledge of established oral hygiene concepts and periodontal therapies.
· Requires completion of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited dental hygienist program.
· Unrestricted license to practice in the state of Louisiana.
Skills, Licensure and Knowledge Requirements:
· Current Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification required
· Proficiency in Windows, Microsoft Office, and typing skills are required.
· Excellent verbal, customer service, and written skills are necessary for this position.
· Good organizational skills are essential.
· Bilingual Spanish/English preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to, stand, sit; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard reach
· Specific vision abilities required include close vision requirements due to computer work
· Light to moderate lifting is required
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Moderate noise (i.e. business office with computers, phone, and printers, light traffic).
· Ability to work in a confined area.
· Ability to sit at a computer terminal for an extended period of time.
Travel or Special Requirements:
Driving during the workday as well as local or out of state travel may be required to perform job duties.
Click here to apply!
Desired Start Date