Member Benefits | Job Bank
Making a gift to the National Network for Oral Health Access is one of the easiest ways to positively impact our work, enhance our services, and help our community strengthen and increase access to oral health services. NNOHA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Your contributions are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.
Join & Renew
NNOHA is the largest group of safety-net oral health practitioners in the country, and our members all share a commitment to increasing access to quality oral health care for underserved populations. NNOHA is committed to providing the highest quality resources and support designed to meet the unique needs of our members and their programs.
Cherokee Indian Hospital
June 29, 2023
We are looking for a Dentist who loves working on children for our clinic in the western North Carolina mountains serving the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians near Asheville, NC. Excellent benefits and loan repayment eligible! Plenty of hiking, fly-fishing, rafting and other opportunities with our close proximity to the Great Smoky Mountains and Blue Ridge Parkway. Our clinic is located 1 hour away from desirable Asheville, NC which is known for its excellent food and arts.
Cherokee Indian Hospital Authority (CIHA) serves a population of over 18,000 Native Americans and their beneficiaries living on or near the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians (EBCI) Reservation next to the beautiful Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Western North Carolina. Our hospital building is 7 years old and was beautifully designed to complement the surrounding mountains with input from Cherokee Elders, esteemed in the Cherokee society. The dental clinic has 21 dental operatories including 2 surgical suites and a pediatric wing with 3 chairs including a quiet room. We also have two satellite dental clinics located an hour away from the main hospital which are currently closed while new facilities are being built. The staff at CIHA Dental clinic currently consists of 6 general dentists including a GP who does Peds full-time and a GP who does dentures and partials full-time, a full-time oral surgeon, 4 hygienists, 14 dental assistants, a receptionist, a dental case manager, dental practice manager and a DA Supervisor. Our clinic uses Dentrix software for electronic dental records, Dexis digital xrays and EHR (Electronic Health Record) to reference medical records for our patients. We also have a CEREC Omnicam unit and Seiler microscope for Endo.
We are currently looking to fill our dentist position, available now, and are looking for a candidate who is comfortable working on children in a large group setting and working in coordination with our other GP who is currently treating all of our pediatric patients. This position would be great for a general dentist with pediatric experience or a pediatric dentist, contact clinic for details. The position is for 40 hours per week with rotating M-Th and Tue-F schedules and we work 4 x 10-hour days from 7:15am -5:45 pm. We are looking for a provider who is able to manage his/her time well, able to work out of more than one chair and oversee his/her assigned assistants and hygienist. As our dental records and the hospital's medical records are 'paperless' a certain level of comfort with computer skills is also an asset. The adult dentistry clinic offers “Same Day” appointments each day for emergency patients as well as regularly scheduled routine dental treatment and Hygiene appointments. Lunch is from 11:30-12:30. We are empanelling our patients so that the providers can establish a relationship with their patients and dentists are teamed with an assistant and a hygienist. The clinic has over 10,000 patient contacts per year. We are located in a hospital setting and follow JCAHO hospital regulations.
Cherokee Indian Hospital is located at 1 Hospital Rd, Cherokee, NC 28719 if you’d like to Google our location to have a look around the area. Waynesville, NC, a small town in the mountains is about 37 minutes away and the larger town of Asheville, NC is about an hour away. We are right next door to Great Smoky Mountains National Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Please visit the main hospital website for more information and to apply for the position online: http://cherokeehospital.org/. CIHA offers great benefits and is a student loan repayment eligible site through either the NHSC or IHS loan repayment programs where you can be eligible for up to $50,000 in loan repayment for the first 2 years of service and renew annually after that. Please see their websites at https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loan-repayment/nhsc-loan-repayment-program and https://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/ for more information.
The position will require obtaining a North Carolina dental license within one year of hiring. North Carolina offers licensure by credentials for practitioners who have been practicing for five or more years, otherwise you will need to sit for the NC licensing board exam. ***Please review the NC Dental Board's website at https://www.ncdentalboard.org/dental.htm to ensure that you will be eligible to receive a NC dental license within one year of hiring.***
- Incumbent must be a degreed graduate from an American Dental Association accredited dental program. This would include an undergraduate degree and a doctoral degree in dental practice: Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) or Doctor of Medicine in Dentistry (DMD) degree.
- Salary level will be based on the applicant’s experience.
- Have current, unrestricted dental license in the State of North Carolina or current, unrestricted dental license in another state and be eligible for dental licensure in the state of North Carolina. Incumbent holding an unrestricted license in another state must obtain an unrestricted license to practice dentistry in the State of North Carolina within one year of hiring.
- The incumbent is required to obtain and maintain all certification and education requirements to annually renew their NC dental license once obtained.
- Six months to become proficient in the job, this would include pre-doctoral externship and post-doctoral residencies.
- Current BLS certification.
- Current DEA certificate.
- Post-doctoral programs such as formal residencies will increase the value of this employee to the CIHA Dental clinic.
- Pediatric dentistry experience preferred.
- Pension that vests after 10 years
- 401K with 5% match
- Medical, Vision and Dental insurance
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 12 paid holidays
- 40 hrs. paid CE time in addition to $3,000 for CE per fiscal year
- Moving reimbursement eligible
- Student loan repayment program eligibility
Desired Start Date